This blog is about part 1 of my 20,000+ mile car-camping trip with my dogs from DC to Alaska via Labrador. Part 1, in 2011, was to the end of the road in northeastern North America in Labrador and then on to Quebec and Ontario, 7609 miles. Part 2, which took place in 2012, picked up where Part 1 left off in Ontario and was supposed to extend to Banff and Jasper National Parks in the Canadian Rockies, but Leben, my male German shepherd, became paralyzed on the trip so we cut it short. We will finish the journey in 2013, when we will return to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska.

Days 15 and 16, September 3-4, on the Nordik Express from Blanc Sablon to Natashquan, Quebec,  210 miles, 3361 total

As soon as I saw the dogs' required accommodations, cages on the deck, I knew that there would be trouble ahead.  The cages were not large as I was told, but small.  Fortunately, the two larger bottom  cages were connected so my dogs could make whatever division they preferred.  But also, the cases weren't precisely on the deck, but on the edge of the midship deck.  Fortunately, the back over leaking the sea was closed in.  Finally, for the next two  days my dogs' view of the world would be limited to what they could see out of six holes the size if silver dollars, not exactly a world view. But they managed and eventually considered it home, probably because twomof the things I to pull from the Defender as it was ready to be hoisted abroad were their beds. 

But that wasn't the worst of it. The weather was.  Wile it did not rain, the wind was strong, 60kph I was told, and you when what that does to seas and small ships on them.  The was no way I was going to abandon my dogs in their temporary jail and so I prepared for a rough afternoon and evening.no sooner had we left port when the rough seas started.  The ship pitched every way imaginable, and when it pitched to starboard, our side, the seas rolled up on the deck and me.  Unfortunately, I did not grab my rain gerbfrom the Defender as I mad bit for the ship, but I did have on five layers of clothing, top and bottom, but that wasn't enough to combat th cold an water.  I brough along a tarp, however, to cover the dogs' cages, but they didn't needbit, som wrapped myself in it and sat down on the deck to wait out the storm.  It was cold, to be sure, but huddled under the tarp brouh some relief.  For gloves I used two nylon ditty bags, and they worked just fine.  It was the worst nigh of my,life, but I was not about to abandon m dogs, who were clearly upset.

But the worst was yet to come, the seasickness.  I realize thatbi am a order, brave naval warrior, well, not quite, but all of us can be hit with it.  One young man on the ship told me it is worse than a hangover, and he was right.  My God, did I get sick. I'll let an readers of this blog fill in the missin details, but it alone would hav qualified that nigh to be worst.  Bu it was gon a few hours later, but I still had a long cold nigh ahedbof me sleepin on the deck next to m dogs with a tarp wrapped around. Quite a sacrifice when 10 feet away was a heat movie room with soft, adjustable sets.  Oh, what we do for our dogs.

We did get to take thevogs on walks at th six port stops at all hours of the day and night. I appreciated it as much asvthey id, seeinbthese fishing, hunting, and Indian (native) villages on the sea readable only once a week by boat.  A different world or sure.

I was really worried about Erde, whom. Had fed Earl that morning, since she ate her brother's food (he was protesting something), had not been walked sine 9am, and the first port would be ate 7pm.  But she held out until 50 feet beyond the gangplank, poor dog.

Unfortunately, as unpleasant as the fret day voyage and then evening were,  (but here it is Saturday and I am still freezing on the deck as I honor my commitment to my dogs)  there was something else more disturbing on the ship in full view of me. While I certainly respect the natives' desire to cling to their traditional customs, with their skidoos, ATVs, and satellite dishes, I abhor the way they treat their dogs.  Fifty years ago it might have been excused, but there is no reason for it today.  Let me be specific.  Five hours after we departed on Saturday, a native walked up to the cages and literally tossed inside a huge eight-week old puppy, and left him there.  The dog was on the ship for almost twenty hours and given no water or food or bedding in his cage.  But I fed him dog food and treats, gave him water, and attention every now and then. I could not take the feeling of those two sad eyes peering out of the holes looking at me.  I fear the dog will never experience kindness in his entire life.  Instead of lecturing the  owner when he came to lug him off the ship like you would a sack of potatoes, with stopping to let him relieve himself, I just told him what the dog needed, hoping something sank in, and gave hin Leben's big nylon bone as a gift from my dog,

Glad that those sad eyes were gone, but still sd for him, no sooner did he leave the hip when another dog appeared, he too a puppy, but this one could not have been older than five weeks.  He still had difficulty seeing and walking, could not eat  solid food, and was in a carrier that had dirty cardboard and insulation for bedding.  When the owner was nowhere to be found, Avery, a young woman whose dog was sharing a fate similar to mine, and I fed the puppy milk from the coffee bar, which he consumed ferociously, and water, and I replaced his bedding with m towel.  When the owner returned much later, we told him what the dog needed and what we did, and left it t that.  That dog probably has experienced his last act of kindness.  Again, with their satellite TVs, there's no excuse or this kind of behavior anymore.

Soon we will be docking in Natashquan, my destination, and this, the worst portion of the trip,  comes to an end.  I'll find a place to pitch the ten somewhere nearby so I can get a decent sleep and then decide where I shall o next.  But the challenging portion of this journey has ended, At least I hope so, but we shall soon see. 

I do jot know when will be able to post this, but I hope within three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment