This blog is about part 1 of my 20,000+ mile car-camping trip with my dogs from DC to Alaska via Labrador. Part 1, in 2011, was to the end of the road in northeastern North America in Labrador and then on to Quebec and Ontario, 7609 miles. Part 2, which took place in 2012, picked up where Part 1 left off in Ontario and was supposed to extend to Banff and Jasper National Parks in the Canadian Rockies, but Leben, my male German shepherd, became paralyzed on the trip so we cut it short. We will finish the journey in 2013, when we will return to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska.

Daily and Pit stop Checklists - 2011

Although I have used checklists long before and during my prior car trips, what happened on January 1, 2003, in Tennessee confirmed my belief in them. (Click here for the story of Patton.)  The first checklist is for when I check out of a campsite, the second for after a pit stop.  As the result of following these checklists, I can think of only three problems I had from the the 120 or so campsites and 200 pit stops I checked out of over my entire three prior road trips.  (That's .009375 or less than one percent.)  Let's hope my luck holds out this year.  I actually go down the lists each and every time I check out of a campsite of gas station.  Below is the "moving on" checklist. Click here for the Pit stop checklist.

 

Dogs secure in car?  Are they OK?
Collars, tags, leashes?
Sweep the campsite thoroughly?
Sweep beyond the camp?
Left anything anywhere else?
□ Gear closed/secure in roof rack?
□Tie-downs secure in roof rack? 
Gas/ Water cans secure? Leaking?
Recovery equipment secure?
Bolts on roof rack secure?
Hi Jack, Pull Pal, Shovel secure?
□Belts & hoses OK?
Fluids ok? Oil, antifreeze, brake, wiper
Defender clean?
Everything organized?
Trash empty?
□Water for dogs
Passenger and rear door secured?
Bolts on door windows secure?
Passenger window locked?
Side mirrors out; side/rear windows secure;
Gas cap on? 
Spare tires secure?
Leave anything on hood, bumpers, lights?
Hood mat secure? 
Hood step stool secure?
Recovery platform stool secure?

Front, side, rear lights in order?
Tires full/hot? Any leaks?
Leave anything on the ground?
My door shut completely? 
Passenger door shut completely?
Need to check out?
Forget to do anything here?
Forget anything at this stop?
Review maps, Plan for Day?
Log Entry?
Check on Deck for:
Glasses (distance, sun, reading)?
Fire extinguisher? Bear spray? 
Coffee cup?
Leatherman; compass; mag glass?
Water, water bowl, treats,  foodbag?
Cell phone; satellite phone
Voice recorder? 
Camera?  iPad? Chargers?
Clipboard, maps, directions?
Rain gear handy in back?
Gauges:  Gas?  Oil?  Temp? Brake?
Windshield cleaning fluid ok?
Wallet?
Safety Deposit Box in place?
□ WEATHER for today?