This blog is about part 1 of my 20,000+ mile car-camping trip with my dogs from DC to Alaska via Labrador. Part 1, in 2011, was to the end of the road in northeastern North America in Labrador and then on to Quebec and Ontario, 7609 miles. Part 2, which took place in 2012, picked up where Part 1 left off in Ontario and was supposed to extend to Banff and Jasper National Parks in the Canadian Rockies, but Leben, my male German shepherd, became paralyzed on the trip so we cut it short. We will finish the journey in 2013, when we will return to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska.

About this site

About this site.

This blog is for me to share with others the planning for my upcoming trip from DC to Labrador, and then from Labrador to the Arctic Ocean in Inuvik, Canada and then Deadhorse (Produce Bay) Alaska, and then home again. The most important objective of the trip is to make it back safely with my dogs and my Defender.

Although I will have a iPad, cell phone and satellite phone with me, when I am outside h e lower 48 (for well over 80 percent of the trip), I will rarely have access to the internet, so the blog will be updated only from time to time.  Also, when it is update, I imagine that it will be firs-draft quality as on the road I have very ltitle time to sit down and relx at the end of the day and do such things as write blogs. Often I do not have time to write inot my note book.

I will probably be updating the blog by e-mail.  If you wish to be copied on that e-mail list instead of following or checking up on the blog, post a comment with your e-mail address at the COMMENTS posting. However, I cannot guarantee anything.

While I am on the road, I will not be checking messages at my regular e-mail address at all and checking in for messages on my home phone rarely.  (A secret service agent friend will be house-sitting for me so please do not call him since he has been instructed to not answer my phone.) While you are free to leave a message in emergencies, non-emergency messages will be deleted.  My cell phone will work only in parts of Canada and Alaska, and I will use it only for outgoing calls. My satellite phone will be used only for emergencies. I will be accessing this blog when I am able to, so if anyone has a message they can post it on the COMMENTS posting.