This blog is about part 1 of my 20,000+ mile car-camping trip with my dogs from DC to Alaska via Labrador. Part 1, in 2011, was to the end of the road in northeastern North America in Labrador and then on to Quebec and Ontario, 7609 miles. Part 2, which took place in 2012, picked up where Part 1 left off in Ontario and was supposed to extend to Banff and Jasper National Parks in the Canadian Rockies, but Leben, my male German shepherd, became paralyzed on the trip so we cut it short. We will finish the journey in 2013, when we will return to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska.

Latest Revision of My Invitation Message

The invitation message I sent to each invitee changed from time to time. Here is the latest version.  It is essentially the same as the original with just a few additions.

Friends,

As some of you know, I will soon be heading out on another extended car/camping trip with my dogs, Leben and Erde, first northeast to end of the road in Labrador (at North West River), and then, if all goes well, northwest to the end of the roads in Canada (at Inuvik) and Alaska (at Deadhorse), where I will turn around and head home. It is doubtful that anyone has ever made this trip before, and I think I know why. 

For my trip, I created the blog www.NortheasttoAlaska.blogspot.com.   Until the trip is completed, the blog will be private, that is, open only to invitees. Your name has been added to the invitation list and you should be receiving an invitation from Google soon.  (If you cannot access the blog, let me know as it is possible your name dropped from the invitation list.)  With apologies to John Steinbeck and his dog Charlie, I cannot imagine why anyone would want to read the repetitious, quotidian trivia of a 66-day, 16,733-mile car-camping trip. But in case you are so inclined, feel free to check in on the blog before, during or after the trip, which will begin --- assuming all the last-minute snags are all resolved --- on August 2nd and will end October 6th.  Of course, having taken three of these extensive trips already, I know that there usually is no time to do even the essential things, so my internet scribblings may be the exception and not the rule, especially with no internet access for about 90 percent of the trip. Between now and the time I leave, I will post some planning things on the blog. On the road, when the postings appear, they will be chronological, probably unfocused and most certainly unedited.  The same goes for the photos, which I hope to upload to PhotoBucket.  

Just as I am uncertain about what shape this blog will take, despite my itinerary, I am likewise uncertain about outcome of the trip.  My most important goal is for all of us to get home safely.  My itinerary is only a plan, from which I might deviate as many times as there are intersections and roads luring us down them.  The only locked-in elements of the trip are the ferry/cargo ship legs, for which passage had to be obtained in advance.

During the trip I will not read my regular e-mail, but I will occasionally read e-mail sent to addresses I got for this trip, edontheroad2011@gmail.com or northeasttoalaska@gmail.com, as well as any comments left on the blog. I will rarely check my voice mail messages at home and my cell phone and iPad communications will not work in most places in Canada and Alaska where I am going.  I will, however, have a satellite phone with me for emergencies.