This blog is about part 1 of my 20,000+ mile car-camping trip with my dogs from DC to Alaska via Labrador. Part 1, in 2011, was to the end of the road in northeastern North America in Labrador and then on to Quebec and Ontario, 7609 miles. Part 2, which took place in 2012, picked up where Part 1 left off in Ontario and was supposed to extend to Banff and Jasper National Parks in the Canadian Rockies, but Leben, my male German shepherd, became paralyzed on the trip so we cut it short. We will finish the journey in 2013, when we will return to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska.

Rachmaninov's pianno concerto number two

One of my favorite music pieces is Rachmaninov's piano concerto number two, as some of you might have noticed. I can listen to it at home, in a concert hall, or in the wild, and I love it. I played it just about every nigh on this trip.

For those interested in hearing it, you might wish to call it up on YouTube. And check out the movies Brief Encounter or Somewhere in Time, two great movies, where this music is featured. The perceptive among my readers, all three of you, will figure out the connections between the titles of those two great movies and these road journeys.

Posttrip addition.

In a coincidence that has to be one for the record books, the last night of our road camping trip was spent at the Straits State Park in St. Ignace, Michigan. We overlooked not only a beautiful bridge that symbolically represented my crossing over to my former life, but also Mackinac Island. With a powerful set of binoculars I could have seen the Grand Hotel on the island. The Grand Hotel was the setting for Somewhere in Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment