This blog is about part 1 of my 20,000+ mile car-camping trip with my dogs from DC to Alaska via Labrador. Part 1, in 2011, was to the end of the road in northeastern North America in Labrador and then on to Quebec and Ontario, 7609 miles. Part 2, which took place in 2012, picked up where Part 1 left off in Ontario and was supposed to extend to Banff and Jasper National Parks in the Canadian Rockies, but Leben, my male German shepherd, became paralyzed on the trip so we cut it short. We will finish the journey in 2013, when we will return to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska.

Day 37, Sunday, September 25: The final stretch home; There's something about a road/camping trip

My decision to stay in one of those cozy, Thoreau-sized KOA cabins paid off handsomely on Sunday morning when I was up and out within 30 minutes, by 7:30. The 350-mile ride home was unremarkable except for one thing. When we hit route 70, it was time for the dogs to have a breakmso we pulled into the next rest stop. When we got there, I thought it looked familiar, and then I remembered. I had stopped at this very same rest stop just a few days after 9/11/01, on my way back from Alaska. As I was getting ready to load Leben and Erde, then 4-month old pups, into the Defender, a family of two adults and five kids pulled into the rest stop and prepared to bed down for the night, in their car. After inquiring with them about their plight and destination (kentucky) and learning that they were homeless and the father jobless, I pulled my tent off the roof rack, the tent in the National Geographic photo of me and Sonntag, and gave it to them. I also gave them all my spare food, which I no longer needed. The 13-year old daughter, his oldest child, was more ecstatic over getting that tent than I bet any new occupant of one of those MacMansions ever was on moving into one of those monstrosities.

At about 4:15, 37 days and 7609 miles from when we set for this trip the second time, our trip to Labrador, and then on to world-famous (just kidding about the world-famous, of course) lake Bukemiga, had come to an end. Another end-of-road.

Over the course of the next several weeks, I hope t write a few epilogs about this trip here, but to all intents and purposes, this blog has reached the end of its own road, just as we reached several ends of roads over the previous 5 weeks, until Part II next year, that is. There is something about a road trip, especially like the one we just completed that inspires profound epilogs, so I will add then later. But I will make a few comments before I give my two iPad typing fingers a rest.

First, over the next several weeks I will also revise the postings to take out the iPad errors and supplement what I already wrote with additional writings, if I can recall them. I will also add lots of photos at last.

Second, this road trip was the shortest of the four I have taken over the last 11 years. The others ranged from 10,000 to 14,500 miles and from 45 to 50 days. But this one was more taxing for a variety of reasons I will think about and write up later.

Third, tbe 7,609 miles we drove were more miles than I drive in more than I drive on average in a year, although only half of what the average American driver drives in a year, so it's not as if I am exactly used to driving long distances. And the 7,609 was less than one percent more than I estimated before the trip, 7000 miles.

Fourth, to say that the trip was simlly extraordinary would be to reveal my limitations in the use of English. I will think of a better word later and add it to an epilog.

Fifth, to be sure, our days were filled with problems, obstacles and frustrations, but that is what these trips are all about. Only one problem became a blemish on the trip (the faulty satellite phone I rented, which could have turned not a disaster, but it did not). Despite 32 moves from place to place, I only lost two things, a spoon and that step stool that rolled of the back of the Defender. That impressed even me.

Sixth, despite the myriad problems and obstacles, we met every single daily destination in our plan, usually arriving at the planned campsites right on time, between 5-6.

Seventh, to be sure, this trip was about, first, my dogs, and then the road, the campsites, the views, the sunsets and sunrises, but it was also the chance to live inside a metaphor for five weeks.

Eighth, we did not meet a lot of people along the way for reasons that should be intuitively obvious, but all those we met were good, honest, positive people, most of whom shared my own admiration for nature.

Finally, a lot of people here in D.C. and on the road get a lot of credit for helping me prepare for the trip and carry it out, often when I was in a bind. At some point I will prepare a list of credits to acknowlegde tbe roles of those I can remember. But two deserve special mention right now, and they are my dogs, Leben and Erde, who were two terrific traveling companions. I only hope that they enjoyed the trip as much as I did with them. They were kind of shocked when we arrived home after resigning themselves to a nomadic life in a tent on the road, and I wish I had some way of telling them about Part II of the trip, but they'll just have to learn that for themselves next year. These trips give new meaning to the command, Let's go for a ride.

Ed from home in D.C.


Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment