This blog is about part 1 of my 20,000+ mile car-camping trip with my dogs from DC to Alaska via Labrador. Part 1, in 2011, was to the end of the road in northeastern North America in Labrador and then on to Quebec and Ontario, 7609 miles. Part 2, which took place in 2012, picked up where Part 1 left off in Ontario and was supposed to extend to Banff and Jasper National Parks in the Canadian Rockies, but Leben, my male German shepherd, became paralyzed on the trip so we cut it short. We will finish the journey in 2013, when we will return to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska.

Day 20, Thursday, September 8,  Tadoussac, Quebec (Domaine DES Dunes Camp)

I have 5 percent left on my battery (iPad, that is) so I must be quick.

Another light driving day, 131 miles.  Some of the scenes were terrific, but the traffic is fast (not like home) and so no time to enjoy the views.  I stop now every two hours for the dogs and so I did appreciate a few of them more.  Wonderful panoramas of the coast. Absolutely wonderful.

I stopped off at a little village (they are now 15 miles apart and not 400) to get some cash and asked for directions to the bank in French.  My speaking French is passable but I understand little, so after I ask a question (ou set le banke), afer the person gives me directions, which  i do not understand, I ask a gauche (left ) òr a droit (right), say merci beaucoup  (thanbk you very much)  and then go on after I get the answer and take the next right or left . But then I stop someboyd else and go through the routine again, gauche or droit.  Eventually, after enough gauches or droits I get where I want to go, well almost.  In this small town, for instance, I got lost in a maze of side streets after 6 or 7 gauches and droits,  but then I saw an armored truck and figured it was going to the bank so I followed it,  and, voila,   I was right, or was I  droit. Of course, the driver, like that dog-loving border guard, looked at me with great suspicion as «i followed him into the bank, but I got me $300 and moved on.

3 percent left.

I ended up in Tadoussace, 131 miles down the road, and found it to be a wonderful little town out of a storybook.  Lots of whale watching here.   The campsite I am in is just as splendid. They have these yellow lights on the maze of dirt roads that lead to the campsites that they keep on all night and the one near me is shining on one wall of the tent like a full moon casting weird images from the trees, braches and leaves.  It`s wonderful.  This is aprt of what this trip is all about.

Tomorrow I head up to lac St Jean, and after that, 7 days later, to Montreal and St jovite near Mt trembllant where I will spend a few days deciding what comes next.  I am postive now I will go to Thunder Bay, mayve beyond.  My next engagement at home isn`t until Oct 15 wehn I have to catch Anna Bolena at the Meté

1 percent left.  Gotta sign onto google and post this.  Hope I make this.

ED, Leben and Erde

No comments:

Post a Comment