This blog is about part 1 of my 20,000+ mile car-camping trip with my dogs from DC to Alaska via Labrador. Part 1, in 2011, was to the end of the road in northeastern North America in Labrador and then on to Quebec and Ontario, 7609 miles. Part 2, which took place in 2012, picked up where Part 1 left off in Ontario and was supposed to extend to Banff and Jasper National Parks in the Canadian Rockies, but Leben, my male German shepherd, became paralyzed on the trip so we cut it short. We will finish the journey in 2013, when we will return to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska.

Day 4, Aug. 23, Mt. Carleton Provincial Park, New Brunswick, Canada, 329 miles

Day 4, Aug. 23, 329 miles

These postings will get shorter and shorter. Unfortunately, this iPad is getting in the way of the trip. It has turned out t be more of a headache than it is a useful tool. So much for my brilliant idea to get one to take along.

Made it t Mt. Carleton in New Brunswick today after 32 miles of driving. In New Brunswick, on one road we were on for 100 miles we passed on other vehicle. The roads are as empty as the scenery is beautiful.

The Defender started overheating the first thing this morning, and the sold rule f starting it did not work, but then the problem cured itself. One mechanic with whom I spoke said that all the hills. Climbed and my letting the air out of the coolant reservoir got rid of the air bubbles in the system, which cause overheating. So, i did have a real overheating problem after all. But it is fixed now, until more air bubbles get into the system that is. But now I know what to do to resolve if it happens again. I just hope this holds.

Got detained at the border for 45 minutes. Apparently, the four of us looked suspicious. (I count the defender as a person.) The agent asked if the dogs bite, and I tld him no. He then opened my door and climbed onto the front seat to check my things. Leben leaped at her and went right for his face. Erde followed. Then the two of them licked his face. Before he let me go, I told the agent that that was the first time anyone ever climbed into my vehicle with my dogs, and I thanked him for confirming for me they they do not bite.

As in Peaks Kenny Park, there are millions of stars out tonight. Our sky is filled with so much light pollution in DC I had forgotten what a real night sky looked like.

Tomorrow the goal is to reach Matane on the St. Lawrence Sea to catch the 530 ferry on Thursday to the start of the road to Labrador. After that, we can slow down.

No comments:

Post a Comment