This blog is about part 1 of my 20,000+ mile car-camping trip with my dogs from DC to Alaska via Labrador. Part 1, in 2011, was to the end of the road in northeastern North America in Labrador and then on to Quebec and Ontario, 7609 miles. Part 2, which took place in 2012, picked up where Part 1 left off in Ontario and was supposed to extend to Banff and Jasper National Parks in the Canadian Rockies, but Leben, my male German shepherd, became paralyzed on the trip so we cut it short. We will finish the journey in 2013, when we will return to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska.

Day 2, August 7, Journey has ended (temporarily, I hope)

Prior to this trip, I told a number of people that just as something serious went wrong to either me, my dogs or my vehicle on my prior trips, I knew that something would go wrong on this trip, I just didn't know what, when and where. Well, now I know. Ver late last night, on my way to my first campsite near Scranton, Pennsylvania, in one of the most horrific rainstorms I've ever driven through, my Defender's temperature gauge went deep into the red zone. More details will follow in a later posting. Although i've been told it could be a gauge problem (I replaced the radiator, water pump, thermostat and belts and hoses last week) and not a real overheating problem, taking that chance is not one I can take. Since I have no more contingency days left in my early itinerary, I have no choice but to return home to fix this problem. Problem is, how do I get home with a car that is overheating, two big dogs, 90+ degree weather, and almost 700 pounds of gear? I cannot drop the car off at the Landrover place in Scranton and wait days for them to try to fix a problem no one in DC has been able to fix. So, what I will probably do is drive as far as I can and if a problem develops, call AAA and have the car towed back to DC, more than 220 miles. Since I don"t want the dogs to have to sit in the vehicle for the trip, I will probably try to rent a vehicle to drive them home.

it is not at all upsetting that this long-planned trip has to be cancelled, even disappointing. This wasn't the only major problem, but it was the most important. These things happen. My concern is getting all of us home safely. After all, the only real objective of the trip is precisely that.

My first task when I get home will be to get the Defender repaired and that problem solved. If it is resolved by August 15th, I may consider starting out again on the second leg of the trip to Alaska, and attempt the Labrador leg next year.

Ed

PS...one thing I found on prior trips when problem arose is the gracious hospitality of people wanting to help strangers. That lesson was very much in evidence here. The hosts of the Clayton Park camp east of Scranton have been very hospitable during my stay here, which will end tomorrow when I head back to DC, I hope.

Sorry for any typos. I am still learning my iPad.

No comments:

Post a Comment